Overseas License Changeover Process in Victoria

When to Convert: When you’ve been in Victoria for up to 6 months, you need to convert your overseas license to continue driving. The 6-month period starts from the day you first establish residence in Victoria, regardless of any temporary absences. Here are the steps to follow:

Conversion Steps:

  1. Medical Conditions: Inform VicRoads about any medical conditions or prescription medications.
  2. Appointment: Make an appointment to visit a VicRoads customer service centre.
  3. Document Verification: Provide VicRoads with your overseas license and proof of identity.
  4. Eyesight Test: Undergo an eyesight test as part of the process.
  5. Online and/or Driving Tests: Depending on your age and country of origin, you may need to take Victoria’s online and/or
    driving tests.

Who Doesn’t Need to Take Tests:

Recognised countries and jurisdictions

Some countries with comparable licensing standards to Australia are recognized, and individuals from these countries usually don’t need tests. Most people with a licence from a recognised country will not need to do tests to get a Victorian licence. They are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man (for licences first issued on or after 1 April 1991)
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta (for licences first issued on or after 2 January 2004)
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK
  • USA

Experienced Driver Recognition

Some countries meet high standards but not all, and they fall under the Experienced Driver Recognition category. People from recognized or experienced driver recognition countries aged 25 or older can exchange their overseas license without testing.
They are:

  • Bulgaria
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China) *
  • Hungary
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Poland
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Korea (South Korea)
  • Republic of Serbia
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • Taiwan

A person who holds a driver’s licence from one of these countries and is under 25 years of age will be required to undertake theory and practical driving tests. * A person wishing to exchange a Hong Kong licence without driver testing must be 25 years or older and must have held the Hong Kong Licence for at least 12 months.

Rest of the world

Other than these countries above need complete the following Tests:

  • Road Law Knowledge Test: Also known as the Learner Permit Test, can be done online or in person.
  • Hazard Perception Test: Evaluates your response to road hazards, can be done online or in person.
  • Drive Test: Must be done in person. Your Local Driving Academy will help you to pass your Driving Test.

Potential License Limitations

Even if you have a full overseas license or extensive driving experience, obtaining a full Victorian license may have restrictions
based on your age and driving history:

  • Between 16 and 18: Eligible for a learner permit only.
  • Between 18 and 21: Eligible for a probationary license.
  • Older than 21 but with less than 3 years of driving experience: Eligible for a probationary license.

For Know more about Express Drive Test and License Packages